Monday, July 25, 2016

A weekend at home + an afternoon cruise

Good Morning, Friends! This weekend we enjoyed a little bit of a change of pace that was much needed. I originally had the Bisti Wilderness on the docket for Saturday, but during last week it was starting to sound more and more unappealing. We've been so busy lately, I was starting to feel like I was getting behind on life, so I pitched to the hubby that we stay home and do whatever we want. Let's just say I didn't have to twist his arm too much. Don't worry, it'll definitely be rescheduled.

Saturday morning we [I] decided a run at Elena Gallegos sounded pretty good. We hadn't been there since our engagement pictures photo-shoot, and it has one of my favorite views of the city. I thought it was about time to re-visit, especially since my lasting memory of it is being locked inside the park-but that's a whole other story.
Photo credit: Photizo Photography by the Smothermons

The hubby was less enthusiastic about the idea of running. I am not above bribing to get him to workout with me, so I may have coerced him with breakfast-I like to think that it helped. It was pretty hot out this weekend, and surprisingly so was early Saturday morning for our run, but it was a good change of pace and the views of course did not disappoint.



The rest of Saturday was filled with chores and preparing (and by preparing, I really mean shopping) for an upcoming trip!

Sunday, after church I basically declared date day. We decided to take a ride up to Valles Caldera (did you know it's one of only eight super volcanoes in the world?). Again, a place it had been too long since we had been, and never fails to remind me how beautiful it is. The drive up also reminded me that it has been too long since I've been to Jemez Springs and a hike needs to happen there STAT. Once we got to the reserve, we got out for a bit to walk around and take in the sights. No matter the season, the colors are always amazing. It breaks my heart to know the surroundings used to be more lush before the fire burned the majority of it a few years ago.

After a while we got back in the car and headed back down the mountain with a quick pit stop at Soda Dam for the hubby. Sunday's are apparently a popular day in the Jemez. I don't think I've ever seen Soda Dam so packed!





I was trying to keep my balance in this picture but for some reason when I see this picture, all I can think of is The Sound of Music.




We made a pit stop on the way back to buy some Native American Oven Bread. We thought it would round out the trip nicely.

On another note, the dirt in Jemez (where we bought the bread) was incredible this weekend! I had never seen it so red before. Maybe it was just because it had been a while since I had made the drive, but I could have sworn it was more vibrant this time. I took a picture, but it didn't even come close to accurately capturing its quality, so you'll just have to trust me, it was gorgeous!

Our plans for the evening were going to include a date up the Sandia Peak Aerial Tramway. We've been really wanting to ride in the new cars that were installed for their 50th anniversary, however, every time we plan it, the weather says otherwise. Last night was pretty stormy so we weren't sure how well the weather or the views would be when we got there, so we decided to hold off again. Hopefully that will happen soon!

Instead we just enjoyed a night in with the pups. For staying in town, we still had quite the busy weekend, but it still offered just enough downtime for me to re-group and conquer the week ahead. I hope everyone has an amazing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment