Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Adventuring through Colorado

Well hello there friends! I hope your week has started off well!

This past weekend we had a pretty memorable weekend over here. The hubby and I did some exploring up in Colorado. If ever came a time that we had to move, Colorado has my vote hands down!

For years he has been raving about the drive from northern New Mexico to Ouray, Colorado and how he wanted to get me up there. After hearing about it so much I finally just decided to make it happen. I had planned it back in the summer not really paying attention to the timing of it all but it ended up being almost perfect timing. The views were absolutely stunning! It was just past peak season for the fall foliage but still offered up some incredible color.



Originally I had only planned for a trip to Ouray but a couple of weeks ago we were talking to some friends and the subject of Telluride popped up. I got curious so I looked it up and discovered that it wasn't far from Ouray!



As such, we headed up to Telluride first. We stopped to hike up to see the waterfalls, which also weren't at their peak season- I believe due to the snow, but were still worth it regardless. It was about 2-3 miles of hiking. We originally planned to drive up the road since we weren't in our hiking gear, but the road spooked us so we parked a little ways up and hiked the rest of the way. After walking it, we realized the hardest part was already over and the car could have made it up easily. I would recommend 4-wheel drive if you decide to drive it, but have heard others make the trek just fine. Once at the top you get a great view of the falls and it also opens up really nicely to get some great views of the town.


After the hike, we decided it was definitely time to get some grub so we stopped at a cute grill/bar that was actually a restored historical house.



Afterward, we were on the road again, and headed for Ouray.

Ouray is a super cute, quaint little mountain town that offers up some breathtaking mountain views, has some really cute shops and great ice cream! After walking the town a few times (it's only about a mile-maybe) we got said ice cream, walked some more and then decided to call it a night. The following morning we checked out their waterfall as well called Cascade Falls before heading on our way to Silverton.







Not that I ever really do, but I don't think it is possible to say one negative thing about any sites along the way during this trip. There were many noteworthy sites between each destination as well. Some of which included sites like these:









Once in Silverton the hubby took me up to the ski lift area. He has this dream of skiing it one day so wanted to show it to me in person. I love how much he loves skiing, and I think he's actually quite good at it, but poor guy is going to have to do some major convincing on my part to get him up there. When a guide is encouraged and avalanche tools are required for every visitor it doesn't exactly put my nerves at ease. Apparently Shawn White trained there though-so there's that...



Next stop was Durango. As a teenager growing up the hubby and his family spent some time at a resort in Durango so we stopped there so he could show me and reminisce about some of those memories.

Later, dinner was had in the downtown area of Durango and then we finally headed back toward home. We thought really hard about making one last pit stop at Chaco Canyon, since it's on the way, but it was getting later and we really just wanted to get home... Next time!

On our way in to town Albuquerque was experiencing some pretty severe storms. We had the pleasure of being able to see it from the outside and it was pretty amazing. It also later turned pink from the sunset which was even better, but I never thought to snap a picture of that one for some reason. Regardless, to use hubby's words, in terms of views on this trip we were really treated well!



It went by too quick, but was a great little getaway. The hubby laughed every time I mentioned how pretty it was, but trust me friends, if you ever have the opportunity to make that loop, I can't recommend it enough. It was truly breathtaking!

Have a great week! I'll see you back here on Friday for a recap of one of my favorite vacations and places visited so far...Moab, Utah!
.
.
P.S. Ty-if you're reading this, you'll definitely want to catch Friday's post ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment