Friday, October 28, 2016

Turning 30

Today, I am going to deviate from the usual #FBF post...after this weekend I will have officially changed decades, friends!

I'm still deciding exactly how I feel about that, so call me a work in progress, but I have to stop and think about how blessed I am to have reached 30 in the first place. A dear friend of mine who constantly speaks wisdom into my life recently told me a story about aging that really struck a chord with me and has me doing some reflecting.

In our culture, by the vast majority of people, getting older isn't really viewed as a positive thing. I feel like once you reach a certain age (different for everyone) when birthday's come around you almost dread them, complain about them, avoid them, don't speak of them, rack up an insane amount of beauty products to hide any traces of aging and then your age becomes something many shy away from admitting to.

But friends, we are lucky! We should really be celebrating in gratefulness that we made it to another year! We should be embracing it and living in the now, enjoying those around us and soaking it all in. There are so many beautiful souls out there that never had the chance to make it to their next year. What others would give to be able to have the physical presence of their loved one near no matter the age...and yet we cringe at the thought of another year older.

So I have vowed to myself that no matter how I feel about it, I will fully embrace turning 30. As I sit here typing this post, reflecting, I am incredibly grateful that I can say I have made it one more year. I get to celebrate turning 30 this weekend. I am humbled for the life I have lived so far, the adventures I have been fortunate to take, the world I have been able to see and the many beautiful people I have met along the way.

So friends- all I have to say is next time you find yourself thinking some of these same things, stop for a second and remember that you get to age one more time. You get to live one more day. Live each day to its fullest and love those around you.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment