Friday, September 2, 2016

#FBF Re-cap: France & Germany Part II

Happy Friday Friends! I hope you are about to enjoy a lovely weekend ahead. We are thoroughly excited for the long weekend and the opportunity for one last camping trip in before the season ends.
Before we get too ahead of ourselves, let's jump into #FBF....

To pick up where we last left off will take us to Germany. If you missed our first few days in France, you can catch up here.


I can't explain my reasoning for it, however, Germany was never really on my radar. There were plenty of other places I wanted to visit, but Germany was not one of them. Luckily, my husband seems to be enamored with all things German. For our trip I told him we would do France as part of my wish and Germany to check off his wishlist. I left it up to him to plan his dream Germany vacation. His choice: Stuttgart, Germany.

Where? You may ask. It's a small city in southern Germany, also known as the birthplace of Porsche. Boys and their cars!



I fully went into this part of the vacation with no expectations. This was the hubby's dreams and I planned to fully embrace whatever he wanted to do, whether I liked it or not. Though I knew I would thoroughly get a kick out of him light up in his element. To my surprise, I actually loved Stuttgart, and all of our German adventures! We also rented a Porsche and drove on the autobahn over to Frankfurt, Germany with a pit-stop in Heidelberg-all lovely. Lesson [re]learned? Don't knock anything until you try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.



Couple of things before we begin:
  1. To debunk a misconception I think many Americans have: the autobahn is not a single road or highway that you can travel on with no speed limits. Autobahn literally translates to highway in German, so it is their highway system and there are sections of the highway that don't have speed limits. In case you were wondering, we made it up to about 215 kmph if memory serves correctly.
  2. A random story that gave us more joy than you'd probably expect was eating at an Italian restaurant in Stuttgart where the waiter only spoke German or Italian. Neither of which we speak. However, there's good news folks! Italian is similar to Spanish, which our waiter knew a little of and so do I. So there we were sitting at a cute little Italian restaurant in Stuttgart, Germany ordering our meal in Spanish. Night. Made. 
On to our regularly scheduled picture tour:


Porsche made an exact life-size replica of Sally from Cars! The museum as a whole was also pretty impressive. I can't say I'm a huge car girl, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this museum. The exhibits are well done and interact well with the visitors.


Our ride while touring Germany.















See you next week friends! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Have you ever been to a place that pleasantly surprised you?

No comments:

Post a Comment