Friday, August 12, 2016

#FBF: Lovely Peru

Happy Friday, my peeps! I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Well, it's Friday, so you know what that means...another rendition of #FBF. Today I'm taking you to the lovely country of Peru.

I'm going to sum up Peru in one post though the country itself deserves more, much more.















Once traveling became such a huge part of my life, Peru was for as long as I could remember the place I needed to visit. Specifically, Machu Picchu. My goal was to climb Machu Picchu. While that unfortunately didn't happen due to time and budget restraints, Macchu Picchu did not dissapoint!















We stayed at the cutest little hostel with a just-as-sweet manager who recommended some tours we go on. While sipping on our coca-tea we explored which tour we wanted to do. A note about the tea: I think it's given to all guests as an herbal remedy of the locals to help them adjust to the elevation. However, Albuquerque already sits high so we did just fine. As we were chatting, come to find out the tea is from the coca plant, which if the alkaloids are chemically extracted are apparently the source for cocaine...greeaat.


We decided on a tour that took us all over the area of Aguas Calientes. I wish I could remember all of the names of the places that we visited. I need to get better at that, or at least write them down! After exploring Aguas Calientes, sightseeing and attending several historical markers and traditional villages, it was finally time to head over to Macchu Picchu.















We went up for the sunrise, and the weather decided to spoil us while there and we were treated with what I've read can be a rare clear sight of the Incan village. The beauty, spirit and peacefulness of that mountain is clearly felt even with all of the tourists. To my surprise, that mountain is well respected by its visitors, only adding to the experience. Another reason I wish I could've backpacked the mountain, I have no doubt it serves as a wonderful time to think, soul search and challenge you. I wish I could sum up this experience in words, but alas, I really have non that will even come close to giving it justice. Sadly, pictures, though I think are pretty, don't give you the true experience either, as the nature and sounds and feeling from the mountain create part of the experience and add to the mental picture you hold on to. My only words of advice would be, if you ever have the opportunity to explore Macchu Picchu and the town of Aguas Calientes, I can't recommend it enough.





















We also had the opportunity to explore a bit of Lima, Peru as well (the country's capital). After sightseeing in Aguas Calientes, Lima is left unmatched but still offered some great memories with friends, a bike ride where a wrong turn had us going against traffic on a highway, allowed me to practice my Spanish (surprisingly, I used more Spanish in Lima than I did in Aguas Calientes) and allowed me to experience more of the city life.

At this time in my life I was also going through a major transition with some additionally huge decisions that needed to be made. God aligned everything perfectly, and the peacefulness of the country and the fellowship with my sister and friend in retrospect, was exactly what I needed and if I'm honest, helped bring some sense of clarity to my life. Sissie and Lauren, if you're reading this, I absolutely treasured my time with you girls, and that night on the cliffs in Lima will always be one of my favorite memories.

The beauty of Peru is pretty spectacular and offers another different perspective than other countries I've visited, so as tradition, I'll give you a [lengthy] picture tour.






The Incan style of architecture was very precise. They had a term for it, but I've since forgotten. You could look through one window and see through all of the others to the end.




Lamas and alpacas everywhere. Cool fact: lamas pull the grass and alpacas chop it. At Macchu Picchu you'll find alpacas to help naturally keep the grass cut.




This picture doesn't do the moon justice. It was huge. I think this was the prettiest display of the moon I'd ever seen!






Many, if not most of the houses in this town had both the pigs you see here and the cross. The pigs are an homage to their Incan roots and the cross to the Spanish influence that crossed over and introduced them to their culture/religion today.


The Incan symbol





I think there's a common misconception that this is Macchu Picchu (big mountain). This photo actually features Hyuanu Picchu (little mountain), which we did climb. We are actually standing on Macchu Picchu.



The rocks you see here are a replica of the mountains viewed beyond them.

I leave you with one last picture of Hyuanu Picchu. Because, necessary.



Peru, you were magical. See you next week friends!
.
.
.

If you could choose one place to visit or one thing to do as a "bucket-list" item, where/what would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment